Upon reflection both Poppy and I prefer our final piece of Birmingham the most. For me personally I think there is extra ‘texture’ to the shots as there is more going on in terms of stuff like the architecture and the canal boats, which looks good with the tilt shift effect.
Filming was simple enough, we decided on locations that we thought would look good on camera but that were also relevant for promoting the area. Cheltenham’s regency buildings looked nice, and Birmingham’s varied locations looked nice, Gloucester was harder to find photogenic locations to shoot, but because of the sunny weather what we did shoot looked good, however we should have probably researched the area more as we’d never been before so we could have had more varied shots.
Editing initially was stressful. We followed the After Effect instructions I’d written down when being shown how to use the software by our tutor, however as is typical for me, when it came down to doing it ourselves it didn’t work as easily. We found some youtube tutorials, and after finding one that we could understand and follow we decided to use their techniques - eventually we even found quicker ways to do it than the tutorial. Once we’d picked up the technique we started to whiz through it.
Exporting became difficult when random shots weren’t exporting with their effect so we decided to simply edit them in Premiere Pro as that seemed to work. We hadn’t used Premiere Pro before but we quickly picked it up. We’d struggled finding music for our pieces, we were going to work with Music students but differing deadlines made it difficult, and some of the online royalty-free examples were either not actually free or just not good enough. So we decided on using the instrumentals to Owl City’s song as their techno sound suited the video, and Death Cab for Cutie’s song as the mood fitted the piece.
Overall we really enjoyed this work, again as it was something we hadn’t done before. I’m sure had we been learning the program for a while the pieces would have looked amazing but we’re happy with how they turned out for our first try, I think adding the music and the factual text also gives them more a purpose during watching.
So for our final year production assignment we decided, as with last year’s green screen, to try something new. This time we are using the Tilt Shift technique to make a promo video for Cheltenham, showing off its best features, and possibly other areas.
I had watched a few videos of tilt-shifting on video, and showed them to Poppy. We both loved the effect, but noticed the videos were shot often for the sake of showing off the effect and that we would need some kind of purpose to our piece, especially since some of the online examples had the advantage of shooting from skyscrapers and helicopters already making them more impressive.
Some examples, and sources of inspiration will follow.